Sunday 21 January 2024

log cabin-y delight!

I've been without a computer* for a week. Not a bad thing - as I've had time to do a spot of fabric sorting in the sewing room. The beginning of the year can be overwhelming and so-o-o tempting, with lots of quiltalongs happening. I've been selective about what I want to commit my time to so far, joining in with Audrey's BBQAL late last year, and in the New Year I couldn't resist signing up for Rachel's Positivities sampler quilt.  
... both are part of my ongoing "sew the stash" target ... more about my progress coming up soon.

Yesterday though, I was playing. I started out making a few scrappy quarter log cabin blocks, enjoying my self-imposed challenge of using what I have here. 
My fabrics are a mix of designers, leftovers I had in my stash, mainly older, unloved ones in green, pink, & browns, with a few blues & black thrown in too. Some blocks are so loud they're yelling, others are quieter, and some mix and others don't match at all - but don't they all sing along together?

Lots of progress pics today so you can see the variety ...










I spent this afternoon getting sidetracked, checking out possible layouts for my 1/4 log cabin blocks.
 Maybe like this ...

 
or like this ...

or this ...


or maybe even something more like this ...


After (quite) a bit of afternoon playing around, I think I've settled on a pleasing design now. This is such a cheerful, modern utility, messy kind of quilt ... super happy so far, Linda. 

**** I've got a new computer and have been faffing about with all the settings, colours still seem a bit "off" at present. 





8 comments:

FlourishingPalms said...

"Sew the Stash" is a worthy target, one that seems more needful for me as I get older. Always in the back of my mind is, "How many more years will I be sewing and making?" and "Do I really want my two children to have to deal with what I leave behind?" That's why I began fabric-tracking last year (this is year two), and do not buy fabric unless required. In any case, what you're doing with those quarter cabins is a great use of stashed fabrics. I like the different layout options, and that you apparently fussy-cut a couple flowers that just might find a spot at some block intersections. Very creative! Keep having fun, and using!

Katie said...

I love your log cabins! I always admire those bright, bold prints and colors that you're using and they do all play so nicely together once you lay them all out. It's going to be a beautiful quilt!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

good setting for the blocks and the circle in the middle adds interest I hate getting to know a new computer

Robin said...

"Sew the Stash" is my mantra right now. I did pretty good last year with sewing from my stash and finishing up UFOs. I'm not helping the economy by my lack of fabric purchases but I love the slow lessening of the bulk of my stash. Maybe by the end of this year I'll be able to get everything into my sewing room and not have spill over in various other closets upstairs and down.

Raewyn said...

Oh that's fun, Linda. Well done on making those unwanted/unloved work together in such a happy way. Good luck with the new computer!

sue s said...

I like these blocks! I think the aqua sashing is bright enough to use on them for a place to rest your eyes. But, I'm a big fan of aqua so there's that...

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your sidetrack is so pretty!! love those blocks!!!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Very very pretty! I have also been doing some organising of my stash (we moved house last June and I don't have the full wall of shelving that the previous- house had) - everything has been in boxes but over New Year I found some small drawer cabinets on wheels that will fit beautifully under my longarm frame, so have been transferring my fat quarters and smaller pieces of yardage into those. It will feel like 'shopping' my own stash when I simply have to slide open a drawer to view what's inside!