Monday 29 January 2024

want some colour today?

It's a long weekend here in NZ
and I've been sorting out my next steps with two long-term projects. 

The bramble blooms QAL ... is all about wonderful improvisation! Full disclosure here - Improv + applique are not really my strongest techniques but I'm enjoying the challenge! I started out with a plan and a colour scheme for my sunflower block, and it's now No. Where. Near. my original thoughts. 
I guess Audrey would say something like "let the quilt take you where it wants to go" - I more inclined to call it "going rogue." 




The idea is to use fabrics from our stash, to make a unique one-of-a-kind creation. Audrey's latest prompt was to add a border with repeat applique motifs to the centerpiece, with quarter-triangle style cornerstone blocks. I began by working out from my improv sunflower centerpiece, taking it one bit at a time to see what happened next. 
I decided to try a coping border first. I tried four different fabrics, and finally settled on this early AMH print in plum. It helps frame my floral design and brings in a little of my accent colour. The coping strip also gives me some wriggle room for adding the next wider border. So far, so good.

And then that next border? I spent a bit of time trying to figure out border fabrics & applique motifs, but it felt like I was getting nowhere. I'd looked at these fabrics for so long, too long, I needed a break, and so I sat out in the sunshine to think about it 🌞

After playing with a few shapes, I decided to just go ahead and add a few borders and see where I ended up. And the repeat applique, hm-m-m- - well ... you'll see.

Here's a few colourful progress pics from the design floor ...









My 'sunflower blooms' are quirky, colourful and definity unique. 
Each new decision feels like a relief ... no, no ... more like a little touch of fabric magic!

*******

Next up ... the 'positivities' sampler quilt sewalong, a year-long project from Rachel at stitched in color. At least this one has a decisive design plan to follow LOL! 
My friend Glenys & I are both joining in, and we've chosen our background colours. After thinking about what fabrics I had here and which direction I wanted my quilt to go in, I decided to 'go green', a soft green. And Glenys is going with peach. 
I've sifted through my scrap baskets & chosen an assortment of blending & a few contrasting pieces. This weekend I made a start on January's block, 'expansion' (still in segments as final joining doesn't happen until later).






May the usual creative chaos continue!
Linda




14 comments:

Nancy said...

Wait! Didn't you start your Bramble Blooms center with different flowers, Linda? When did these flowers happen? They're delightful! (And, in my opinion, much better than your other center for this particular quilt.) I love what's happening with your borders. Do you think you will still add applique?

Gretchen Weaver said...

I like your improve block, very lovely! The positive block is pretty, interesting design. Happy stitching!

Quilting Babcia said...

Your sunflowers are positively wonderful! Love your latest take on this project. It's easy to see that you're in the midst of summer there rather than gazing out the window to see gray skies and a snowstorm swirling around.

Hubblebird said...

Just gorgeous.

Denice Barker said...

Yup, after seeing these I'm thinking I need to go back to square one!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think your impov looks great - I rarely work without a pattern unless it is a one block repeat

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love seeing your Bramble Blooms progress, Linda - such pretty color! That floral is yummy. I think this taking you in a beautiful direction! The Positivities QAL looks like fun, too.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love your sunflower blooms and your border ideas. The small floral print ties all of the colors together so well.

Robin said...

You have been using your time so creatively. What a beauty your sunflowers turned out to be.

audrey said...

You're always so creative! Love it.:) And I'm totally crushing on the fabric you used for the coping strip! ha Always different things to look at. Your flowers look amazing!

Katie said...

I love how the Bramble Blooms project is coming along. It seems every one of us is having the same problem of the quilt changing our original plans. It's a stretch for me, too, but a good one. I'm looking forward to where the next prompt takes us.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Linda, you definitely have an eye for choosing the right fabric and suiting colours one to another. Your BB is just gorgeous. And I'm pleased to see someone stitching Rachel's Positivity blocks as I think they are so beautiful Look at your fabrics! Awesome! Meanwhile I'm waffling and dithering over here in the ice and snow!

Janie said...

'May the Usual creative chaos continue!'
thank you Linda for the superb colors and encouraging words, I'm happy.

FlourishingPalms said...

Lookin' good, Linda! I like the bright orange in the flowers, and how you're letting yourself "go rogue." It's always a relief to do what works for you, and KNOW it not only feels right, but looks right too. Keep enjoying the steps and listening to your instincts.