Saturday 21 August 2021

a mixed bunch

Well, it was nice while it lasted! Here in Auckland, NZ we are now back in lockdown... luckily I managed to get to the library before they closed AND I have a few sewing projects underway to keep me busy. 
Admittedly, it's been a bit of stop:start kind of week in the sewing room. And yes, it's a bit of a mixed bunch of projects, but those little bits of time spent sewing do slowly add up! 


I'm an expert starter and hunkering down at home is the perfect excuse to begin something new!  "Another Story" {a pattern by Joana from thimbles and needles} will hopefully keep me sane!

I pulled out an initial selection of bold & bright bohemian AMH florals along with a few other large scale prints. A delightful array of fabrics to play with, something very colourful to keep me smiling. 

After a few auditions, I opted to use a green solid for my connecting triangles. I decided to use green rather than my usual go-to blue. And, as what often happens round here, I won't have enough for the whole quilt so I'm including a few other green prints to add to that sense of layering. I'll play with these to see how best to work them in. 
This quilt will be entirely from my fabric stash. Even better, it's going to be machine pieced. 





Broken Dishes is a traditional favourite, and I've been playing with a few early Kaffe fabrics, just trying to use up the stash! Another green colour story, it'll be all in the details with this one. . .



I'm working on my "evie" quilt too, a delightful string vintage quilt I started a couple of weeks ago. It's still up on the design wall, with a view not too different from my last post!

In the interests of keeping it real, 
here's todays mess . . .



And my "to be read" pile is a real mixed bunch too.
Love to hear your thoughts if you have you read any of these




"The Little Ghost Who Was a Quilt" by Riel Nason is a delightful read, oh my when you are a quilt instead of a sheet, being a ghost is hard! It's a lovely message about finding and embracing your uniqueness. And, it's kept Evie busy making her own little ghost and reading out loud to all of us in turn. 

Back to cutting out more hexis,
Linda

16 comments:

Tawa said...

Lucky you, I didn’t make it to the library, so I am reading books online. Here in Palmy, we are looking north and south, and feeling a little surrounded.
I do love your new quilt, those big bright florals will definitely beat off the lockdown blues.

Susan said...

I'm so sorry to know you are back in lockdown....and this is from someone who knows about lockdowns! All that sewing will certainly keep you busy though. I like the idea of different coloured green triangles in "Another Story".
I am lucky to live five minutes walk from my local library, and we are able to reserve something and then go and pick it up. Louise Doughty is a good writer but I am wary of some her subject matter after reading Apple Tree Yard. But I loved "The Dressmakers of Yarra..." which you may have seen me rave about on Instagram? I read a lot of reviews on Good Reads before I commit to some unknown authors, just in case!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

glad you got books before it closed! I get most of mine on line with my kindle or listen to the audio on my phone - we aren't in lockdown here in the states but my husband and I mainly stay home and wear mask when we need to go out. It is horrible here and the rebellion against wearing mask is really stupid and so many refuse to cooperate and only talk of their rights when they are making others sick because they don't care enough to help protect everyone.

audrey said...

Lockdowns suck. Glad you have some books and quilt projects to distract you! Being an expert starter definitely has its benefits.:)

Janie said...

Yes, lockdowns suck.
Evie is darling!

Rebecca Grace said...

You have the most fabulous floral fabric treasures in your stash, and I love how you're using them! Great job getting your library books out before the lockdown. Enjoy your reading and stitching while we all wait this out together. But alone, in our homes, socially isolated, and suffocating in our itchy masks... ;-)

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

"Expert starter" - I like that and can relate. Sorry about your lockdown but it's amazing how your country has really tamped down Covid with your swift and serious lockdowns. Japan's version is sort of voluntary. I love your wild mix of fabrics and your various projects in process.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Love those connecting greens you're using in your new quilt project. It's gonna be another beauty. Lockdown absolutely sucks and we're going on week 9 here in greater Sydney (although I'm in Wollongong LGA which only has had a handful of cases).
I'm currently listening to the Dressmakers of Yarr on audiobook from the library. Loving it so far.

FlourishingPalms said...

I think you're delving into the right sort of therapy for remaining sane during lockdown(s)! I understand the stops and starts, though I found our self-imposed quarantine days (in 2020) very healthy for stash reduction. When you can't get out to shop, making-do is the most effective response... and very gratifying. Your "today's mess" is really nice! One of my favorite inside views of a sewing room is what's on the design wall. I've seen that book before, and it's intriguing. Must find a copy of it, though my four grandsons may not be able to relate... or will they?

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love your new start, this is so lovely! Happy stitching!

Karen S said...

I am so pleased you were able to get some reading organised. And also pleased you have plenty of projects to go. Not sure how long we will both be in lock down this time. Good luck.

Mystic Quilter said...

You have three gorgeous quilt projects on the go Linda, I see we have a few of the same AMH fabrics in our collection. A large stack of books to keep you happy when you need a break from stitching and such a beautiful picture of Evie, what a darling!

Ann said...

In a way I'm sorry NZ is in lockdown again but I'm also envious. We have large groups of people who don't take science seriously, still deny Covid and spout nonsensical remedies online. As a consequence, hundreds of thousands of people have died needlessly. Life is a much better choice, even if you stay home.
Lovely fabrics and lots of books. Both are great distractions.

Gemini Jen NZ said...

If you're like me (a cry-baby) you might need some tissues beside you as you get near the end of The Dressmakers of Yarrandarrah Prison - I really got caught up in the story! Love all your projects. I too am enjoying the fact that lockdown means getting some UFOs done/using up scraps or leftovers etc (in between online work for my Yr3 class that is). And I have about three stacks of books, plus the stash of books under the bed, so will be fine if libraries don't open again for about then years I reckon ;-)

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Oops, that's 'about TEN years' (not 'then years' haha).

gayle said...

I'm glad you're well-prepared for your lockdown (and also glad you live in such a thoroughly sensible country!) Your design wall is full of fun!