Thursday 12 August 2021

string quilt love

 

one test block 
It’s not perfect and it’s got a lot of scrappy colour going on, but I do really like it 


I'm sharing a new start today, the "Evie" quilt. I began with a pattern from Tara @ 'quiltdistrict'  {or see over on her blog here} inspired by a delightful vintage quilt in her collection. Well, I must admit this quilt captured my heart straight away with the name, one of my granddaughters is called Evie too 💕

I made up a test block and then it simply grew … with just a little planning on my part.

My block started out a lot softer than other kaleidoscope versions I've seen. I was going for a soft floral countryside vibe, but super happy now that I stayed with those darker pops of black & teal colour too. I'm also mindful of making those alternate sections more light to light /medium for better effect.  
I'm using whatever fabrics catch my eye in the basket under my sewing table. Lots of strings and scraps, checks, spots, vintage florals, leftover pieces, etc...….eclectic and unlikely combinations.










I'm sure more blocks will continue to happen over the weekend
Linking up with Kelly for 'needle and thread Thursday' here
 Linda


12 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

That's going to be such a pretty quilt, Linda!!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

So pretty and so unique. I love the strong element of the b/w polkadots, with the softer florals.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Love your blocks, so beautifully scrappy!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh, this is wonderful - and that inspiration/vintage quilt is awesome.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a neat block! I like the "solid" pieces interspersed with the string pieces. They make an interesting shape and design!

Janie said...

The vintage Evie, from Kansas? Did I read that right? Is an amazing quilt of scrappy heaven.
Your blocks look exciting, good adventure!

Susan said...

A kaleidoscope quilt has long been on my to-do list, and I love where this is going! I’m curious- are you using a paper foundation for these?

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

There is so much scrappy goodness there! Love the colors.

Mystic Quilter said...

You're creating a beautiful quilt here Linda, one of my favourite blocks and I love your fabrics.

Karen S said...

These blocks are lovely. I can see a lot of fun here.

Karyn said...

It is looking beautiful 😍

audrey said...

I have never been successful at matching up the points to this particular block. Yours is looking amazing!:)