Thursday 26 August 2021

late nite chopping spree
















Believe it or not, I've never made a full-on hexagon quilt! I've had a few attempts, using the EPP method, but quickly lost interest. When I spotted a pattern that could be made on the machine, with large 3" hexis, and no y-seams, I thought why not try it out.

My plan for "Another Story" {a pattern by Joana from thimbles and needles} is slowly emerging. 

Using colour inspiration from Rachel at stitchedincolor, I pulled out an initial selection of bold & bright bohemian AMH florals along with a few other large scale prints. It's a delightful array of colour to play with, where the fabrics do all the work. 

I'm using a selection of green prints to add to that sense of layering for the setting triangles. I'm thinking 'green' is my new neutral! And the two tone stripe has a strength that could be perfect for an inner border, yes? 



Not much sewing happening yet though,
fussy cutting takes A. Lot. Of. Time 
However, after a late nite chopping spree, lots more hexis & triangles are now cut out & ready to go.

Until next time, Linda


11 comments:

Tam said...

Hello there. I enjoy reading about your work! Could you please give some more info about he pattern for “Another Story" {a pattern by Joana from thimbles and needles}. I’m having trouble finding it in my search or on Pinterest. Thanks, from Tammy in Utah, USA.

Janie said...

Fun with florals! Hexagons and triangles work well together don't they?
I like the dark butterfly in the top photo with the mix of flowers.

sue s said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sue s said...

I am inspired by this! I have the hexie ruler and my bright floral fabrics and have been debating a layout. This one looks good. I easily found the pattern on her Etsy site.

Robin said...

You quilts are always so bright and cheerful. I love the fussy cut coneflower.

Mystic Quilter said...

Looking good Linda!! I spy some of the new AMH range in your hexagons, I'm waiting on mine arriving. Your border choice is a perfect fit and the hexies are a good size.

Suz J said...

That stripe feels right at home with the various greens (which is always a neutral in my book 😂).

Karen S said...

Love those hexies. And lots of scope for fussy cutting.

audrey said...

One of my favorite quilts that I've ever done was put together with a lovely green as the background fabric. It really is a great 'neutral' if you find the right shade!

Ann said...

Your large scale prints work so well in this quilt with the mix of green solids. Lovely!

pandchintz said...

Woohoo! Such a lovely lot of fabrics you’ve cut.