Monday 11 September 2023

scrappy star stitchalong: update

I couldn't resist joining in with the stitchalong. I didn't actually read it correctly though, because I think - now - that the general idea is to copy the sweet antique crib quilt. Quite a fun challenge, finding ways to replicate the look and feel of the original. 
Anyways, I just jumped straight in ... total scrappy mode, so, I guess I'm making my own version.
I love the play with the brightness values in the original little quilt though and have tried to replicate this with my own light and dark elements. And the style of my fabrics are old/new, traditional/contemporary, a real mishmash of fabrics. 

There are 21 pieces in each Ohio Star block and the blocks are 6" finished. The stars are wildly scrappy, some of the blocks have 16 or more (!!) different fabrics, and that is taking me a bit of time to choose!

some purple for the next block ...


this one is the most 'normal' looking so far ...



and a group photo ...





Here's a pic of the original scrappy quilt,
a 20 block Ohio star, very scrappy, crib size quilt made around 1900 ...



I've just finished a good read that I thought I'd share too ...


'Tom Lake' by Ann Patchett is about youthful love, married love and the lives parents lead before children. The novel is set during the first summer of the pandemic (but it's not about the pandemic) and follows the story of a mother whose 3 daughters have returned home to help pick their farm's cherries in Northern Michigan. While picking cherries, they beg their mother to tell them the story of Peter Duke, a famous actor with whom she shared both a stage and a romance years before at a theater company called Tom Lake. As Lara recalls the past, her daughters examine their own lives and relationship with their mother and are forced to reconsider the world and everything they thought they knew.

It's not a super-fast paced read but I really enjoyed this one, as I was gently transported into a world of picnic blankets, sweet cherries and swimming in the lake.  


Until next time, Linda

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like your blocks with all of their scrappiness and color.

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm so pleased you followed your own way with these sweet stars of yours!

dutchcomfort said...

I like the original idea of reproducing an old quilt, but I love your blue version!!