Saturday 30 September 2023

colourful stash stars

I'm still stuck sewing stars ... from my stash
... super happy with the contrast of a traditional block paired with modern fabrics!



- loving how the backgrounds have a sort of lacy look




Ideas for this latest quilt idea came from a few places... I've been wanting to try & add more solids into my blocks and the simple Ohio Star seemed like a good place to start. I'm using a basic 12" pattern - there's lots out there - and am faffing around with contrast either by value or hue. 
{wink wink} I got really sidetracked at first though - love Tula Pink's 100 6" Ohio Stars quilt, check out her video here.

I also wanted to use up more of my stash. I found several almost "lacy" looking fabrics, mainly AMH in assorted colours, which I'm using as my backgrounds, and I plan on repeating a few fabrics to help with overall cohesion. 



and here's a group pic of my1st nine "stash stars" ...






Linking up with Kelly for NTT here
Happy weekending, 
Linda




7 comments:

Karen S said...

Love that blue star, the first one. I can imagine lots of blocks in shades of blue now!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

pretty what a great use of scraps

FlourishingPalms said...

These are just lovely! There's nothing like a good-ole traditional quilt block, like the Ohio Star, to be effective no matter what prints or solids - hues or values :-) - are used. I admire you for digging to your stash to create. With the rising prices of quilting cotton, it's really smart to keep using-up what we already have.

Janie said...

Hi Linda,your Ohio Stars look great I just found that Scrappy Star Stitchalong and I'm seriously thinking of joining in, I'll be late, but I
think Ohio Star is a satisfying block and makes up into a stunning quilt.
Happy Sewing to you too!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are beautiful, Linda! Happy and scrappy!

Mystic Quilter said...

I like this collection of "stash" stars, Ohio Star is always a winner I think and your fabric mix works beautifully.

Ann said...

Your lovely collection of fabrics works well as these stars. They twinkle as they each have a different value range. Good work, Linda.