Wednesday 25 October 2023

a spot of DIY improv play

Next project up & running already.



I started out faffing around at the weekend with some strips & scraps I came across during a cleanup after my last sewing session. The. Most. Perfect. excuse to press pause on the cleanup, yes! 

I'd been itching to do some “just for fun” improv sewing. My improv play this time was inspired by flicking through class photos from the talented Sheena @cloudstreet53and a 2015 tutorial by Rita from redpepperquiltsand this delightful quilt pic 👇 Housetop: Fractured-Medallion Variation Quilt c. 1955 Delia Bennett (American, 1892–1976).

I love the look of improv log cabin quilt blocks, specifically fractured log cabins. I began sewing the (mostly) AMH strips together in a light/dark sequence to make up some 9 1/2" quarter log cabin blocks. But ... like with most improv ... I didn't really know where this was going to end.

Not wanting to go too wacky, I chose a selection of greens for the sashing & the squares to ground all my multi-coloured bright florals. Love the mix of scrappy florals & spot! 
I auditioned several fabrics to use as possible borders, and happily found the wonderful AMH stripe (Chamomile, Pretty Potent collection) that worked in so well with my greens and brights. 
Must admit though, the border situation was a tad problematical, as I didn't want a square quilt, and so I had to do some creative joining to make my AMH stripe work.


 

 and ta da, my flower-market quilt top
















I've had lots of improv fun playing over the past couple of days!
For once, everything fell into place nicely
 - I think having some sort of colour scheme in mind really helped the process. 

Linking up with Kelly for NTT here
Linda


9 comments:

karenbbsnow said...

Love it, so fun and cheery!

Linda said...

This is delightful! Such super colours.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love that border fabric that you used

Robin said...

So pretty, it must have been so fun to sew on. Bright, colorful, happy. . .

FlourishingPalms said...

Very nice! It is such fun to play with one's stash, and "scratch an itch," sew to speak. This turned out really nice, especially with that border that looks like it was made for the quilt center. Perfect! I'm happy for you to have had such a good time putting it together.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love it! Strips are always a winner and your idea of light/dark has worked beautifully.

sue s said...

I love this! What a fun border too.

audrey said...

Such a fun looking quilt! I adore fractured log cabin quilts and this one is so spunky looking. What a great use of the border fabric!:)

Karen S said...

That came together very quickly and looks Great!
Definitely better than cleaning up.