Saturday 14 October 2023

making it work

Went a bit off-piste this week, breaking back into a few unfinished projects. Hopefully with a new twist. 
First up, I relooked at my 4patch blocks (a 'penny patch' variation, see back here in December 2022). I was all set to start joining them together, but things still weren't really working for me. 

Then I had an idea! 
And the next thing I knew, I was faffing around shuffling my blocks around down on the "design" floor! I put most of the really light blocks/fabrics all to one side and began laying out my 4patch units. Some deconstruction was required (= unpicking & resizing), had to happen given my change in direction! 

This sweet selection of blues & purples has been on my mind for so long, it felt good to get them out of my head and rearranged pleasingly. Some blocks are definitely high contrast, but not all, resulting in a subtly broken chain. 
I do love mixing up all the different fabrics too, old & new Tilda, Liberty, Kaffe, AMH, along with a little gingham to achieve a real vintage floral look. Here's a few pics of how things progressed ...



- I'm a great believer if you run out, find something else close enough to work 

- I tossed in a few non-florals to get more contrast working












After a little more tweaking ... it works for me now 
... very much💕
Linda



14 comments:

Kristin Stonham said...

Oh, how fun! I'm also working on a scrappy quilt using this same block. I love your controlled colorway. I'm worried that mine's going to look too chaotic. But I guess I'll see when it's done!

Gretchen Weaver said...

These blocks look great together, love the chain! This new arrangement works very nicely, happy stitching!

Julierose said...

Oh yes, it certainly does "work" now;)00 what a lovely piece--love all those little squares leading your eyes in all directions to view those lovely florals--Super job!! Hugs, Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

I love the way some of the little squares blend into their adjoining blocks, leading the eye in unexpected directions. Beautifully done!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love the double 4 patch and really anything that makes the diagonal chain. Pretty colors!

Rebecca Grace said...

Very pretty, Linda! You know, I think those "close enough" fabric substitutions add a little something extra special to a quilt. You see that a lot in antique quilts where the makers didn't have the local quilt shop at their disposal and were often working from scrap bags with limited quantities of each fabric and had to improvise.

pandchintz said...

It’s looking great Linda - well worth the faffing!

Bonnie said...

Great call on adding some more blocks into the mix. Your top is looking great. Are you planning on putting on a border? (Confession time -- I generally don't put borders on probably because I'm a) lazy, b) the top fits on one width of fabric, c) I don't have anything to use as a border. But, honestly, it's probably laziness!

Karen S said...

What a great way to play and create a distraction. That is a lovely result. I do recognise some of the older fabrics. They are gorgeous.

maggie fellow said...

great scrappy quilt

Gayle Bong said...

Always loved the double 4-patch great version. Just gotta focus on contrast.

Janie said...

Yes, I agree, if you run out 'find something close enough to work.'
And I like your Stash Stars in your previous post, good progress.
Happy Piecing!

Mystic Quilter said...

Love this one Linda! Nothing quite like the simple square whether four patch, double four patch and so on, endless opportunities.

Raewyn said...

I love this chain quilt Linda!!