Friday 20 October 2023

letting my scrappy side run wild!



Loved the quirkiness & fun with this stitchalong, see here for more details. It's been exciting to make each 6" Ohio Star block over the past few weeks, and I've learnt a lot while exploring and working on these "no rules" blocks. 


- inspiration antique crib quilt


Each block invites one to look a little closer, at the placement decisions that were made as well as at the colour combinations. All the different elements seem quirky & random, and interestingly, no busy florals.  And like many, while I've been making my scrappy wild blocks, I've been wondering what the original quiltmaker was thinking.

It was way out of my comfort zone to make an Ohio Star block where one hourglass had been flipped sideways(!), and many of the blocks had 14-16 different fabrics, with only one block having four fabrics, but the end results are delightful.

While most have been digging deep in their stash to make each block look like the originals, I went a bit rogue and am making mine with more of a vintage vibe.


- OMG how sweet is this looking? 
I've made 16 out of the 20 blocks, but I simply had to share!


- on the design floor


Just need to make & frame up my last four blocks *
and then I'll start assembling them all into a small quilt top.


*Edit:
I'm finally at the finish line!

block 20
4 different fabrics ✅
blue stripe✅



Until next time, Linda


8 comments:

Leeanne said...

Looks summery and fresh!

Karen S said...

Wow. There's a lot of time and effort in your blocks. They are looking so good together.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the blocks are all looking great

Louise SS said...

Your blocks are gorgeous! I have been wanting to make these blocks but the color choices are just not me. Way out of my comfort zone …. But after seeing yours that are much more to my liking I might have to give it a try! I really need another project! ��

pandchintz said...

They look fabulous Linda! Such a fun project.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Such pretty blocks, Linda! They definitely do have a vintage feel to them. This is going to be a sweet quilt!

QuiltGranma said...

Love the scrappiness!

Denice Barker said...

This is something I'd have to keep going on, not stopping at 20!