Tuesday 14 November 2023

fabulously fun fabric fest

 I've been collecting yellow spot fabrics for a while now.



Over the years I've discovered there's many ways you can play to get some cohesiveness happening in an eclectic happy scrappy quilt like this one. 
Such as ... maybe limiting your colour palette or having a focus fabric to work from ... or repeating the fabrics so there is some semblance of continuity within the pattern, a bit of a mix and match approach if you like ... or simply adding a single constant colour somewhere - very much like what I am doing here with my yellow spots.

I'm faffing around with another WiP, vintage improv style blocks using the 'fantales' quilt recipe from the talented Sheena over on ig here. These large 14" fan blocks are a terrific way to use some of those skinny scraps we tend to accumulate. And I'm mixing it up, using my vintage stash with new fabrics, yes, it's leftovers again!

Here's a few progress pics from the sewing room, four blocks done✅ 12 more to go.






A fab fun put together of anything goes and I think it's all working beautifully so far.
Until next time, Linda


8 comments:

pandchintz said...

Looking so good! You’re on fire at the moment Linda!

Cathy said...

Oh, I do love this. I was going to get my Dresden ruler out for another project but I might be digging it out for two projects!

dutchcomfort said...

Such fun fans!!

Raewyn said...

I never thought of collecting something as specific as a yellow spot - great idea. Those fantale blocks look like a lot of fun - and a great way to use up those scrappy pieces.

Mystic Quilter said...

Now this is so nice! Such a different block, very interesting.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like how you are playing with this color/design palette!!! Its going to be amazing!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Beautiful fabrics in such a unique and interesting design. Just love it!

FlourishingPalms said...

You're so right about your assessment of colors. If a color is used once, it's scrappy; if a color is used two or more times, it's cohesive. Now if anything goes... that has the potential to be maximalism! Ha, ha. I really like the scrappy combo you have here, and how those strips arrange themselves in the center. It's quite eye-catching. Looks like a fun block to make.