Sunday 12 November 2023

"leftover stars"




This was a project purely for the pleasure of playing with some of my leftover older (mainly) Kaffe fabrics and batik scraps that have been in my stash for ages. Just like the Ohio Star block quilt, this Sawtooth Star block is super easy to make, and I very quickly had quite a number of them made from my stash pull.

When I started making these 10" stars, I had a few different ideas about setting options. And it took me a while to actually decide, {wink wink} I'm sure you've all experienced brain teasers like this too!  
I recently stumbled across a new-to-me approach, a "recipe" for when you find that collection of “tired & old” scraps - add a deliberate sashing and mix in an accent fabric✅ - and voila, one “leftover stars” quilt top.






Yes, I think this could work ...


... and it did!










Love to hear how you use up your leftovers & scraps too.  


Just before I go here's one final pic. Guess what's happening next in the sewing room? I've been collecting yellow spot fabrics for a while now and have found the. perfect. project for them!


It's another good one for leftovers & scraps too.
Pop back soon to see more,
 Linda


11 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

lovely stars!

Mystic Quilter said...

LOVE this Linda!! Beautiful mix of fabrics and I like the idea of using two different sashing strips. You've posed the question as to how we us up our leftovers and scraps - strips are a good one to go to for me, sad to say most of my scraps are safely tucked away in large boxes and haven't seen the light of day for some time, however, I think some of my old KF may leap out into a quilt similar to yours.

dutchcomfort said...

Scrumptious stars! Love that stripe fabric!

Robin said...

That is a excellent formula. . .
"collection of “tired & old” scraps - add a deliberate sashing and mix in an accent fabric"
I will have to remember that because it sure worked for this little quilt.

Rebecca in AK said...

What a bright and cheerful quilt! Love it! I have a lot of Kaffe scraps from my applique quilt this would be an excellent way to use them up.

Bonnie said...

A great use of sashing. It calms the fun, bright florals down a bit but doesn't really detract from them. Right now I'm making some place mats for donations. I like the string quilt version using the same color family. I hope to get a few more made this week to drop off at the guild meeting. Have a quilty week.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are beautiful stars, and I love how you added the two sashings to connect all the stars! That's something I've learned over the years of making scrappy quilts - the blocks need something consistent to organize them - like your sashings. Those stripes really worked with your stars!

pandchintz said...

Great stars and love the 2 different sashings. Can’t wait to see what you do with your yellow spotties!

Nann said...

Your leftovers "cooked up" deliciously!

Raewyn said...

I like that 'formula' for throwing some bits and pieces together - maybe what we do without knowing it sometimes but nice to have a formula at the front of one's brain! Your quilt top looks gorgeous!

Karen S said...

Wow, you always come up with great combinations for these designs.
It looks great!