Saturday 25 November 2023

a few finishes

I have a few "finishes" to share this weekend.

First up, a finished quilt top ... After top stitching all my fans down (I used a silver thread which tends to disappear✅), I added two borders to my "fantales" quilt during the week. I do love a little animal print with the florals, don't you? Finished quilt top measures 72" x 72". 












**************

I'm in a 'binding quilts' phase at the moment too ... and my Kaleidoscope quilt is now all finished! I used a large selection of multi-coloured AMH florals in these blocks - using the good stuff up - along with a few other light bits & pieces that are essential to get that unexpected delightful secondary pattern happening.
As I was getting my quilt ready to send off to Leeanne @quiltmekiwi for some quilting, I decided to add a scrappy border, and am super happy with it now.
I pieced together a few larger pieces of fabrics for the backing. I used a selection of fun, bright multicoloured prints, it's a real anna maria party in the quilt back!

I chose 'ripples' an E2E pattern for the quilting, really pleased with Leeanne's machine quilting on my quilt. It has a fantastic modern vibe - with just enough texture and movement but leaves my quilt soft and drapey. 
My daughter was over this morning while I was auditioning for bindings, and she chose a sweet pink AMH fabric, which works well front & back.  Finished quilt measures 65" x 56". 













**************

And I've finished three books recently that I thought I'd share too ...



'Good Bad Girl' by Alice Feeney is a drama about the sorrows and traumas of deeply flawed mothers and daughters. Twenty years ago after a baby is stolen, a woman is murdered in a care home... these 2 crimes are related in some way, and the story has many twists & turns as you work your way through the good and the bad. It's a complex, multilayered domestic thriller, and nobody can be trusted. 




I read these next two books one after the other! 
'Wake' by Shelley Burr is set in New South Wales, in the small town of Nannine. Mina McCreary's twin sister disappeared 19 years ago when they were 9 years old, and Mina has never quit looking for her. Private Investigator Lane Holland appears on the scene hoping to solve this cold case and collect the million-dollar reward.
This was an excellent Aussie mystery, which drew me in from the very first line.

'Ripper' is Shelly Burrs second novel, another absorbing Australian rural mystery-thriller. Rainer is a small town struggling to stay afloat after three murders were committed seventeen years ago. Local cafe owner Gemma and her police officer husband Hugh are still haunted by the trail of death seventeen years ago ending at Gemma’s little teashop.
The town is about to welcome a tourism company keen to cash in on the town's murderous past, but the tour operator is killed by a Ripper copycat ... and Gemma is drawn into solving the murder.
There are plenty of secrets in this small town, that's for sure!

I found both these books elaborately plotted in such a clever way, certainly two gripping novels I didn’t want to put down. Pop them on your TBR list!

Happy stitching & reading, Linda


10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love that last quilt you show! gorgeous. I have not heard of the books you show but will write the names down to my list - always looking for more to read.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The animal print border adds just a bit of whimsey and all of the gold dotted fabrics are great in there.
I LOVE the Kaleidoscope quilt. I used to make a lot of them and that is on my list now, all I need to do is decide on fabric.

Robin said...

Absolutely love the pink binding. It really showcases the whole quilt.

MissPat said...

I love that kaleidoscope quilt. Very cheery and bright.
Pat

Quilting Babcia said...

I love the Kaleidoscope finish so much! It is just perfection all wrapped up in that lovely binding; and the backing from what I could see is the same as the backing I chose for my version of the daylesford quilt.

Mystic Quilter said...

Nice size for "fantales" Linda, fabric choices all work beautifully together. I'm a huge fan of Kaleidoscope quilts and enjoy the two I've made, perhaps another one could be on the cards late next year.

Linda said...

What a delicious set of quilt photos! I loved looking at all the colours you put together so beautifully. The fabrics you buy are always unusual - not exactly green but somewhere between green and yellow, not really red -somewhere between red and purple etc. delightful. I’ve made a list of your books to look for in our library. I always enjoy an Aussie thriller!

Bonnie said...

Congrats on more finished quilts (or almost finished). I was checking my local library for any books by Shelley Burr but nothing came up. I'm not a fan of thrillers so I'll skip Alice's book even though it is available here. My TBR is ridiculously long and I keep adding to it every few weeks. Have a quilty week.

pandchintz said...

Two more fabulous finishes! Well done you. Thanks for the book recommendations too.

Karen S said...

These are both loving great. Your posts are always inspiring.