Thursday 6 July 2023

x and + ...the scrapbasket version









Finishing up a few WIPs means I can start new ones, right? 

This is a quilt I’ve actually wanted to make for ages. Have you made an x and plus quilt? Remember a few years ago when every other person seemed to be making one? Scrappy quilts like this are my absolute favourite.

I do love a quilt where I can make one block at a time, whenever the scrappy combos happen to occur to me. 
I'm working from my scrapbaskets, throwing every style of fabric into the mix. The fabrics I’ve pulled are mainly selected with an eye for medium - light colours, with little accents in something darker. It’s a great exercise and a step back again from my usual bold brights. 
It's also an exciting block to make... Sometimes the X shows up. Sometimes the plus shows up. I'm being quite random with the placement of my fabrics, lots of colour and value differences keeps my eye engaged, but I am sticking with the same background fabric to calm things a little.

Nine down, eleven to go! I'm super how with they’re all playing with each other so far, and I’m looking forward to seeing more made and put together.


4 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

Your blocks look wonderful! I love + and x quilts, I've made blocks for a charity quilt for do.good stitches, years ago, but never made a quilt for myself. So who knows...

FlourishingPalms said...

It's great seeing a super-scrappy, anything-goes, project like this. I love it! I've made a plus quilt (only), not with a cross, from Cheryl Brickey's book about such quilts: "Modern Plus Sign Quilts." I know lots of designs are out there. Keep having fun with yours.

Ann said...

I saw some of these a few years ago and thought they were lovely. Thanks for the reminder of a great way to use scraps. My basket is overflowing. Your fabrics are lovely.

Rebecca Grace said...

SQUEAL!!! I love these blocks, Linda! Great idea to tie everything together with the same white background fabric. I've never made this block before but it's super tempting. My scrap bin drawers are so full and overflowing that I can barely open and close them. I definitely need to add this project to my Wanna-Make-It list!