Thursday 8 August 2024

shine on!

Over the year I've been making the 'Positivities' sampler BOM quilt created by Rachel @stitchedincolor. It's modern, it's original, it's like an upbeat explosion of colour & shape! 

When I started out on this BOM, I was going to try and work with mainly solids, but those pretty prints kept on sneaking in! I've used a constant minty-green solid as my background and have pulled other fabrics month by month depending on what caught my eye, hoping repetition creates some harmony!
Super happy with this solids & print combo, the florals & the design elements seem to work well amongst all that soft green. 

After faffing around last month, I'm now all up-to-date. First up for the August installment was the Big Sun block, well, half-a-block actually! The positivity here is simple - let yourself shine ...




- checking my colours

******

The other patchwork group was 'collaboration'. Yayeee, no more FPP! It was three easy, traditionally pieced sections, formed with simple squares and rectangles, along the lines of a 'granny square' block. So satisfying to fill in a few more empty spaces with another couple of groups of positive patchwork!







******

Yesterday I lay things all out on the spare bed, checking my colours & (fingers crossed) hoping things would actually fit together okay! 
You will notice that there are a few spaces still. I'm looking forward to September's group, "aptly named 'space' - the least showy elements", fillers that will fade into the background but are equally important, I think. 





Back on track now AND ...
we are nearly there... 
Linda

5 comments:

Rebecca Grace said...

It's gorgeous, Linda, and I think you're doing great with your self-imposed solids challenge. Just experimenting with altering the balance of prints and solids is enough, and I think that mixing prints with solids effectively is probably even more difficult than working with all solids would be. Your work is beautiful and I always love the way you combine your fabrics.

Judith said...

This is lovely, Linda. Your mix of solids and prints is just right, and your background color is perfect. I made one block and decided the background color I'd chosen was going to be too dark. I need to rethink and get back to it.

(p.s. I'm Robyn's mom.)

dutchcomfort said...

Your Big Sun block is so lovely and it's all coming together really beautifully!

Karen S said...

Isn't it looking wonderful. The sun block is stunning.

Mystic Quilter said...

Stunning! It's going to be so exciting to see all the pieces come together Linda! I love that you went with using just one solid for the background and it was the perfect colour choice, I'm biased because its one of my favourite shades!