Saturday 3 August 2024

my monthly dose of patchwork + positivity!




Over the year I've been making the Positivities* sampler BOM quilt created by Rachel @stitchedincolor.  It's modern, it's original, it's like an upbeat explosion of colour & shape!

I was a bit late to start working on my 'star web' FPP blocks for July, and now here we are into August and I'm still sewing 4-point stars. 
It's been slow progress, with some unpicking, and I can't say I enjoyed ripping out all those little paper pieces ... but it's so worth the effort, don’t you think? And, once I figured out the sequencing, things went A. Lot smoother. 

- one down!











There are still a few gaps, waiting now for August's blocks plus a couple of filler-type clusters, but I love how this project is coming together.  That minty green background fabric is hard to capture in a photo, but it's working well with all the brights. 

I am trying to be thoughtful with my choices - very mindful now of being at that stage of repeating rather than introducing new fabrics - but not being too precious about it. 
My biggest relief was that all my small components went together sew smoothly into one whole section! 

******

I actually signed up for the accelerated BOM (I know, I know), so I also received the instructions for the larger 'vision' blocks. 
I must admit, by the time I'd finished all 12 + 7 half 'star web' blocks, inspiration was majorly lacking, so I was guided by Rachel's suggestions for my larger blocks.  A nice easy sew to finish off July's installment. 



It's all looking very busy up on the design wall
And now that the August installment has turned up in my inbox, I may as well keep on keeping on! 
Linda



* In case you were wondering about the title of this quilt along, 'positivities' ... Rachel has assigned meaning to the patchwork groups as we work our way through the year. Every group connects with a theme for keeping a positive and grounded perspective as you navigate life’s challenges.
Yep, it's a feel-good kinda quilt!



5 comments:

Rebecca Grace said...

I think your design wall is looking fantastic, Linda! Such beautiful colors and fabrics, several that I recognize from my own stash and as usual I'm admiring the way you're using them. The same piece of fabric can look so different depending on which fabrics you mix it up with, don't you agree? Lovely work on this project!

liferecipes said...

I like your modern look. Now that I am old and I have enough quilts around my house, I am realizing I need to choose more modern fabrics and styles for giving quilts to younger people. I have been noticing that many fabrics are geared to older people. Of course, I love them. But, will my granddaughters love them? Will the people I donate quilts to love them? It is not much use spending zillions of hours making quilts for people who do not want them after all!

Karen S said...

I enjoy seeing the additions to this quilt each time you share it. Loving the colours and the design.

Janie said...

Lots of fun blocks and piecing! And you're keeping up the positivity!

Mystic Quilter said...

Stunning!! What an amazing pattern from Rachel, congratulations on coming so far with the design, not much more to go now I guess.