Wednesday 15 April 2020

'Fresh From the Clothesline' quilt

Another one of the quilts I recently sent away to Leeanne from quiltmekiwi to add her quilty magic to was my 'square-in-a-square' quilt, aka "fresh from the clothesline' quilt. You may remember me making this one some time ago, hmm-m-m- way back in Feb 2018!

This quilt was inspired by the work of Sheena Chapman and a photo of a vintage 30's quilt, made up of florals and shirtings, in a gentle palette. I do love Sheena's work, it's improv in style, scrappy & vintage-y, she makes combining unco-ordinated fabrics look so easy, and she kindly gave me the measurements for her blocks.

I enjoyed using a combination of vintage and new fabrics to create this pretty quilt. I wanted each block to showcase one bright vintage fabric along with a variety of low-mid volume background fabrics. And you know me, I love any project that uses up my scrappy stash fabrics.


The original quilt didn't have sashings, but I decided to add four vertical rows into my version. And, of course wouldn't you know it, I didn't have enough of any one fabric to do all the sashing. So I mixed it up and used two different low volume fabrics, a Kaffe grey spot and a Jen Kingwell's 'behind the scenes' grey print.
I used that wonderful Phillip Jacobs 'tree peony' fabric for my outer border.{see back here for early details}


And many thanks to Julie from quiltdivajulie for the name suggestion, {you possibly don't remember suggesting the name!} 'Fresh From the Clothesline' ... brings to mind freshly laundered quilts out there blowing on a clothesline, using quilt designs with a nod to the past.



Fast forward to today and this quilt has now been all beautifully quilted in an edge to edge 'orange peel' pattern. I love it!
Unfortunately with the nationwide lockdown, Leeanne will have to hold off posting it home to me. Can't wait to get the binding on this quilt and hang it out there on the washing line for a real life photo shoot!



a close up of the backing . . .


and I've got my binding all ready to go . . .




Stay safe, kia kaha Linda


9 comments:

Susan said...

Wow, Linda! What a beautiful finish. The orange peel quilting makes your quilt sing! I bet you can't wait to receive it!

Julierose said...

Lovely quilt Linda--nice work on using vintage and new fabrics together...I am attempting that with my Courthouse Steps--takes quite a bit of thought.
Stay safe now....~ ~ ~ Waving from Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

Absolutely lovely -- I went and checked out Sheena's link to see the quilt that inspired yours. I like both but I love your version.

audrey said...

I am absolutely loving your Clothesline quilt! So soft looking but just enough contrast to not be ridiculously sweet. Great finish!:)

Leeanne said...

I wish I could send it back to you too! But it's safely tucked away making friends with all my other customers quilts!

Karen S said...

The quilting looks lovely. This will test your patience with having to wait for it.

Susan said...

A beautiful quilt, and wonderful use of scraps.

pandchintz said...

You’re having a ball with your quilts!! Love what you’ve been doing.

Robby said...

This really does look like a quilt hanging on the line from my childhood. Just lovely.