Sunday 12 April 2020

from my house to yours ...

Here's a little snapshot of my week

Out & about at home - Here in NZ we are all enjoying an endless summer. MrD & I are going for daily walks around the Peninsula, high tide 3.6m today, not up to the boardwalk yet!




Playing with the grandchildren -  or not! It is hard social distancing from our three grandchildren. This Easter we hid some chocolate rabbits in our garden and watched from the front deck while they ran around finding them! And then they sat on the grass to make a start on eating them! So sweet ... but {the NZgovt. rules at present}15-20 mins later ... they were gone again. It's ok, kinda, I've got these pics to keep me smiling.



In the kitchen - Like the rest of NZ I am cooking! My daughter & I are running a daily dinner lottery, texting each other with our dinner decisions, inspiring each other to keep on ... keep on cooking!
And, I must say, she has been wonderful passing on any of her succcessful leftovers, simply leaving the dish on the front deck and scuttling back to her car. And then, with me at the top bedroom window, we yell chat to each other.



Off the bookshelf - Yesterday I set aside some time to start re-reading this book, 'The Dry' by Jane Harper. It is so good, a real page turner. It's an Australian crime novel, which captured my attention both for its final twist and its description of a small hostile town troubled by drought.

Addit: I've just checked things out, Jane Harper has two other books "Force of Nature" and "The Lost Man"... which I shall certainly be booking at the library after all this is over.  




Loving the inpsiration over on instagram -
  • I'm enjoying following along with Karyn's {almost} daily 'Running Bingo' tallies. Here's an example: walkers 17, runners three, one biker. Didn't see a car until I had run the first km.

{ pic reposted with permission}

  • And while there are lots of sewalongs happening at present, my pick is the free stitch-along run by Emma from treehousetextiles. I'm enjoying all the stitchingsampler photos over on ig. I'm printing out the weekly updates and collecting a few bits & pieces to make this too, you know, for when I've made a bit of a dent in all my other WiPs. 


  • Oh, and I stumbled across Lauraine Jacobs ig feed today too, she's an NZ food & wine writer. I was checking out her recipes {in particular her spicy apple cake}, but I got sidetracked listening to her morning sessions with the barefoot Murray playing the piano... turn your sound on, and have a wee listen over here @ laurainejacobs 

From the sewing room - And is there any patchwork happening at my place I hear you ask?
Well today, Easter Sunday, I settled in and made some progress on my fabric collage. It's my 'isolation creation' challenge that Julie from justjulielou and I are doing together. No rush, there's no deadlines to have this completed, just some quiet slow stitching hand work on a Sunday arvo, to erase all the daily tension and worry. Here's a few peeks . . .

- some kantha stitches

- a spot of organic stitching, not perfect but makes me smile :)




And finally, I was reminded recently of this line from the 'Best Marigold Hotel', 
“It will be all alright in the end, and if it’s not all alright, it’s not the end.”  
Until next time, Linda

10 comments:

Karen S said...

I love the way you are catching up with your family. So good to be able to see them and have fun while still keeping a distance. And the meals look lovely.
Great to see what yo have been up to.

Preeti said...

I love your description of trying to stay connected while maintaining the distance. Your grand kids are so adorable. The food - especially the lamb with chickpeas makes my mouth water. Your sewing and quilting inspires joy. Stay safe. Sending hugs from afar.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you are staying busy - so that is very good! I get tired of cooking every day - we never went out to eat on a really regular basis but enough that it is getting tiring especially when ones husband is a very picky eater!

Susan said...

I envy you being able to have your grandchildren visit. It has become very difficult leaving the house now in the car- the police are picking people up everywhere for inessential travel. I love the look of the Treehouse Textiles project. I need to check that one out, I hadn’t realised it was free. Your floral piece is looking lovely.

Leeanne said...

Looks like you are having a nice time, how wonderful you get to see your grandkids. I thought that Treehouse textiles stitch along look like a 'Linda' project.

Claire said...

Thanks for the book recommendation. I am not 15th on the waiting list. Others like it too.
I like your hand stitching of the flowers.

Ann said...

Many lovely photos. How delightful to be able to see your grandchildren - even from afar.

Karyn said...

You are eating well! That looks delish. I have no cooking imagination.

I think I have read more fiction in the last two weeks than the last 6 months. I will look up your recommends. As much as I prefer actual books, and to support independent book shops, I am grateful for Kindle in the interim.

Kaja said...

How cool that you have found ways to see your family at least a little bit without breaking the rules. I hope it's a consolation that your government's way of doing things seems to be working. Your daily walk looks beautiful - much nicer than pounding the city streets.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh dear - another post from you which I read but didn't leave a comment , for what reason I just don't know! However, I'm here now and loving what you've been doing at your place. You have a lovely area to take your walks and seeing the grandchildren on the drive is better than nothing but it's the cuddles that we miss isn't it!! Delicious meals being served up from looking at the photographs, a good idea. Liking your organic stitching Linda.