Tuesday 7 April 2020

isolation creation





I've run out of books to read now, but so not going to start watching daytime TV 📺. Instead, it's back to 'zhooshing up' - Julie's phrase - a couple of areas of my #lockdownapplique project with embroidery.

I'm a little bit out of my comfort zone with embroidery, not having really focused on it ever for any length of time. When I relooked at my blackbird this morning, those stitches were annoying me.
The actual AMH bird fabric has little wonky cross stitches all over it, which I was following on my blackbird.

But something suddenly twigged in the back of my mind... and I realised I should have only used 3 strands of the DCM floss. So, I carefully unpicked my earlier stitches and redid them... very pleased now.


I'm finding the fabrics give me heaps of clues as to what's required next
and, a blanket stitch is proving very useful for securing down all those raw edges. 



I also consulted with Julie about the differences between using perle 8 and stranded DCM floss, and other decorative stitches that I could add to my repertoire. She forwarded a link for me to explore for more ideas too - MaryCorbet  on youtube, she is an embroidery stitch whizz!






And before I go, a few people have asked me what I'm going to make with this flower bouquet. My panel measures approx 20" x 17". I don't often make cushions, or wall hangings, or framed hoops so I plan on adding borders to make it up to a nice throw size quilt.

I'm thinking either logcabin-Housetop style {first photo} or courthouse step style {last photo} similer, I guess, to what Kathy from #matobsgirl does with her organic applique projects. Check out this link here to see my inspiration.
It'll all depend on what fabrics I have here at the time and, of course, I've still got lots more hand stitching to do before I get to that point!



Until next time, stay safe, Linda


7 comments:

Karen S said...

Lovely ideas with your embroidery.
But running out of books to read is a big problem.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

can you order a kindle and start to get books on line? If not you can have books put on your tablet or computer

Julierose said...

Just a lovely piece; and I really am enjoying seeing how your embroidery makes it come alive--nice work ~ ~ ~ waving from Julierose;)) stay safe

Denice Barker said...

You could download a Kindle app, order books and read that way. Can your local bookstore send books? This coming from someone who buys books but I know not everyone does. The project is beautiful and prompted me to go through my stash to see what I can find. This is a fun project to watch grow. Good luck and stay safe.

Kaja said...

What a good way to keep yourself occupied (and definitely beats daytime tv).

pandchintz said...

Love it! Great way to use a variety of stitches.

Mystic Quilter said...

I was so sure I had left you a comment on this lovely project! I'm not going down the daytime tv route either but struggling to move along with my quilting! Sidetracked by trying to make more sense of my very small room and have a good tidy! I'd really like to try one of these appliques one day.