Wednesday 29 April 2020

Today's agenda: crumb blocks


This morning it was #crumbblocks on the agenda,
and I've gotta admit, mindlessly sewing scraps together is really rather therapeutic
- and lots of fun.









Crumb blocks are not a new idea of course, however, there are lots of different ways to go about making them. I enjoyed watching Chris' @afullenglish crumb block video yesterday. He gave quite a few tips about making these including ... trust your stash ... and be brave, go for it and cut what you’ve done in half! WHAT?!?! {the idea being that by cutting the block in half, you can introduce even more fabric combos} Endless potential!

And so, totally inspired by @afullenglish and @laurie3.14 I started out making one crumb block today - you know, just to see - and just kept on going! I've got another pile of scraps & offcuts all sorted, all ready to piece now too. I’ll soon have enough blocks to sew together for a whole new quilt top.



p.s. the scrap pile is no smaller!
Linking up with Kelly for 'needle and thread Thursday' here @myquiltinfatuation

Until next time, Linda


10 comments:

pandchintz said...

That looks like great fun! How hilarious that your scrap pile is no smaller!!

Julierose said...

Oh i so enjoy making crumb blocks--I usually use tiny pieces--that i cannot have the heart to toss...
Nice work on this block;)))
~ ~ ~ waving while the sun rises Julierose

Karen S said...

You are far more patient than me. They look great and will be perfect for using lots of fun fabrics.

audrey said...

I haven't made crumb blocks in years! Yours are looking fabulous of course. With your scrap bin how could they not? hehe

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

These look like a really fun way to use up scraps. I haven't made crumb blocks before, but like yours. I shall go and search that video you mentioned. Hope you have a happy scrappy day x

Quiltdivajulie said...

I enjoyed his video, too -- but I am resisting the crumb blocks until a few more projects are moved forward. Then I will indulge my scrappy heart with a crumb project using all those additional leftovers.

The Joyful Quilter said...

ROFL!!! The scrap pile seems to expand when making Crumb blocks. Didn't anyone tell you? Oops!

Jayne said...

Crumb blocks are always a fun adventure! There is something crazy about cutting them up in the end...but it's always worth it!

Kate said...

You've got some fun fabrics in your crumb blocks. I'm starting to wonder what it would take to make a dent in my fabric scraps. Now I'm not sure I want to know.

Mystic Quilter said...

I spotted your instagram post and the one from @laurie3.14, these blocks could make a dent in my scraps, although it would be a small dent. I did watch his video but somewhere must have missed about cutting the blocks in half - back to the video! I like the freshness of your fabrics, mine would be pretty bright and I'm not sure if they would be too overpowering, I'll give it a try.